Clam Soup w/ Assorted Vegetables
Joegaetang is a refreshing stew made with fresh clams and assortment of vegetables in a mild broth. It contains a generous portion of little neck clam (including shells) with soybean sprout, tofu, and hot peppers. Red chili pepper powder can be added for additional seasoning in spice. This is a popular dish found in Korean bars and restaurants which is enjoyed while drinking soju. It is usually served hot on a portable butane gas or jelly burners.
- Thoroughly wash and clean clam shells and remove any visibile sediments.
- In a large bowl or pot, add water and 2-3 teaspoons of salt. Place clams and let it soak for at least 3 hours.
- Cut green onion into 1-inch long pieces.
- Cut red pepper or jalapeño into match stick sizes approximately 1-inch long.
- Mince garlic. Set all vegetables aside.
- Discard salt water and rinse clams once more. Put clams into a pot and add 6 cups of water.
- Bring pot to boil on high heat. When clam shells start to open, lower heat to medium.
- Add green onion, red pepper, and minced garlic.
- Season with salt and balck pepper, bring it to a boil once more. Serve hot.