Chocolate Spice Donut Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar cinnamon (optional)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk (1% works fine too)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, for brushing
- 1/2 cup sugar, for rolling
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and egg on medium-high speed until light in color, approximately, 15 to 20 seconds. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture in three batches, beating well after each addition. The final result will be unappealingly dry and hairy.
Add the vegetable oil, milk, cream and vanilla extract, beating until just combined---be sure not to over-beat the mixture.
Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.